Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Otto and Elsie Go to Pennsylvania 1946 - Part 4



"Jamestown, N.Y.
8-27-46

Dear Margaret, Jim and My Darlings(1),

We were so glad to hear from you.  "My pen is dry" and I haven't any ink to fill it so please excuse pencil.  Dad has written a letter to you so I will write a short one.  Every one is asleep but us and I don't seem to find time to write or shop so I tho't I would get up early and write a few cards.

I haven't bought a thing but a dress for Grandmother's(2) birthday and Jennie(3) got that for me.  The family were all here for dinner Sat. and Sunday.  I guess we are going out to see Parney(4) one of these days.  I like most of the folks very much, but I will be so glad to be home. Dad has asked about a Nash(5) but not a chance so I guess we will go back by train.

Ross(6) is still out on strike.  He has only worked a short time since they were in Oreg.

I have to iron to-day and Jennie has a big one to do.  We went out for dinner and a nice long ride around the lake last night.  Jennie said it was about a forty mile drive.  We visited Mary Bratt on our way home.

We will go back to the farm in a day or two.  I don't know what we will be doing.  I would like to shop.

I want to see my little girls.  I hope you are well Margie.  I miss you all.

The folks have a beautiful home.  They have made it all over since we were here before.  I want to get a letter off to Mrs. Gerlach(7) to-day.

Every one is well out here.  Grandmother like her pin and had it on her dress Sunday and Bobby(8) liked his little cart.  He sure is busy and keeps them all busy too.

Bye-bye dearies. 
With our love.
Mom"

1 Granddaughters Sandie and Barbara
2 Nellie (Ellen) Carter Upton - Otto's mother - her 83rd birthday was the 26th of August.
3 Jennie Upton - Ross Upton's wife
4 Parney Upton - Otto's brother born April 1888 - father to Helen, Virginia, and Jane
5 Nash - Otto's original Nash was totally in a car fire in Eastern Oregon on the way out to PA.
6 Ross Upton - Otto's brother born Feb 1893 - father to Janet and Rachel 
7 Elsie's seamstress and friend
8 Bobby - Robert and Mildred Upton's young son
     

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time comment!