Friday, November 12, 2010

Tourists in California - Back in the Day

James Russell Wallace and Margaret McAdam

Sometime before her death in 1937, Margaret McAdam went out to California to visit her maternal aunt and uncle - Agnes Burnet Wallace and James Russell Wallace. 
The Wallace family's journey to and around America was a genealogical challenge.  I'd been told they emigrated to Canada, so I concentrated my efforts in that direction...to no avail!
Instead, I found the Wallace family came from Glasgow, Scotland through Boston harbor in 1882, and settle for a while in Worcester, MA.  By 1900 they had moved to Dayton, OH where they lived for many years.  They then spent a few years with their daughter Rhetta in Imperial, Saskatchewan (Canada - finally!) before moving to Whittier, CA by 1930. 
   
I figure this photo must have been taken in the late 1920's / early 1930's.  I love the hat Margaret is wearing - she looks like an Ecuadorian Indian.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time comment!