Thursday, July 9, 2009

Scandinavian Midsummer Festival

This year, I was in Oregon in time for the 2009 Scandinavian Midsummer Festival. I hadn't been to one in a long time, so I was pretty excited. My cousin, Jodi, was Miss Denmark, in running to be Miss Scandinavia, and I also got to dress up in one of my grandma's old Norwegian costumes (one of the many weird scandihoovian things we do in my family) Festival was fun, I got kissed by the troll, many times, and each time he kissed you, you got a button. I must say, I have quite a few! My cousin did win Miss Scandinavia and everyone was really excited and very proud of her. On the second day of festival, I danced around the May Pole with many other crazy scandihoovians, including my grandmother, while my grandfather and his group of friends played the accordion at the bottom. After that workout, I went inside to the booths, where there's always great food and cool little trinkets. I was quite hungry, so I bought a plate of Lefse. Lefse has got to be the best food the Norwegians ever created. It's a dessert/snack, and boy is it good! After a while of looking around at all the things at festival, I went back to my grandparent's house, where I finished my plate of Lefse. Overall, the festival was lots of fun and I'm glad I was able to make it!

3 comments:

  1. Kierstyn, thanks for posting! Great pictures. It looks like you and your family had a super weekend. I love your Norwegian costume too. You and Jodi both look beautiful, you crazy scandihoovians girls! I hope you are having a great Summer in Oregon. We miss you here in Eugene!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kierstyn so glad you took the time to post. Sounds as the Festival was a blast and that you are having a great time with your cousins and grandparents here in Oregon. We all miss you down here in the southern end of the Willamette Valley so it is wonderful that you take the time to let us know what is up in your life!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's my girl! I'm so glad you were a Norwegian girl instead of a Denmark girl like the others. By the way, can't wait to have you make leftse. We just need to figure out how to get a ricer.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time comment!