Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Winston Churchill High School September 1974

Okay guys - never let it be said that I feared public humiliation!
Here are my unedited journal entries from my first week of high school - sophomore year at Winston Churchill High School.

"September 3
Well I said I'd write.  Today I registered for all my classes at W.C.H.S.  Got a bunch of garbage like a library card, bus ticket, handbook and stuff like that. 
Eight classes, I think I must be an idiot.  It's all because Mom wants me to take Orchestra.  Saw most everyone: Caryn, Jane, Wendy, Paula and Tammy.
Mom is more excited than I am about school.  She keeps asking me what I'm going to wear.  I don't care, I'm not looking forward to school and I really don't know why.
Venetia M* starts 7th grade and Mom wants me to be nice to her.  I have Spanish with Lisa B* and Angie G* and all those wonderful people.   
Aunt Mary hasn't finished the clothes I wanted to wear tomorrow."


"September 4
Today wasn't one of those days that come under the heading of WOW!  I doubt I can find my first 3 classes tomorrow.  English 10 seems okay.  Health teacher Mrs. Pusateri is very enthusiastic so that class should be good.  Mr. Myers Social Studies is weird, laughs too much.  I'm not impressed with Mr. Pf...Mr. Lewis is a much faster conductor than Mr. Krysl, I can hardly keep up.  Mrs. Nicolson is a good math teacher if a bit abrupt.  Got my lockers.  I rushed around like a stupid sophomore...I'm suffering from a downer, I'm the only one with 8 classes I feel like a visitor from Mars.  Right now I have a headache and I think I'm going to throw up.  Mom said I act just like she did and she wishes she could help."
"Sept 5, 1974
"Today was better to say the least.  I knew my way around to classes and I could take my time.  Don't think Mr. Pf. and I are going to get along at all.  I don't like the way he teaches class *. Said a dumb think in Anc. Civilizations today.  Asked if the Greeks didn't influence us (U.S.A.) because didn't at one time everyone speak Latin.  Mr Myers asked me what language did the Greeks speak?  I couldn't think what they'd speak.  Greek of course! 
  

Went to Farrells for Kristal's birthday.  Cousins were noisy as usual.  Kevins grown up and is acting human at long last (Kevin O*)."
Looking back at age 15 from the perspective of age 50, I must say, wow - alot of angst there!~



All photos in this post are from 1974! Kristi's was take in the Spring as was the Coast picture with me and Mom.  The one above is Gramp's birthday in March 1974.  The top photo is my 8th Grade (Kennedy Junior High) Graduation in June 1974. Literally every girl in the 8th grade used the same Simplicity pattern to make this dress  - only difference was the fabric chosen.  We all looking like "Little House" extras! 


* BTW Senor Robin Pfeiffer became one of my very favorite teachers - I had him for Spanish all three years at Churchill.

3 comments:

  1. Eight Classes!? I have 3 and thats plenty.
    1st period: intro to business which is fun
    2nd is economics which is o.k.
    3rd is analysis which is pretty boring

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how we were going to Farrell's on Sept 5th to celebrate my Aug 29th Birthday! And Tom wonders why it doesn't bother me to celebrate on a different day. Gotta love Grams and her busy schedule.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kristi,
    It seemed like just was always a conflict with sports or meetings or whatever! I think it made us all EXTREMELY flexible with our "birth dates" and hey, it just served to extend the celebration, right?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time comment!