Friday, October 30, 2009

Letters to and from Elsie Greenwell Upton - Mayo Clinic 1951




Ellen Upton Hall, Elsie Greenwell Upton & Margaret Upton Waning - 1963

Margaret Waning returned to Eugene, OR in early May 1951, but Elsie Upton remained in Rochester, with the aid of a "special nurse" for several more weeks.  As she progressed with therapy she was able to write short notes to her family.
Below is a selection of some of the letters she received and the notes that she sent to her family.   


Card from Sandra Waning


Card from Sandra Waning

"Sandy, Ore., Apr. 23 - 1951
Dear Elsie -
We just received your letter.  We hope for you a speedy recovery.  We have a friend here, who had that operation several years ago & is alright.  We are glad that  you went to that Hospital.  It is the very best, they can do wonders these days, and we are hoping that yours will be one of them.
We are so glad Margaret can be with you.  We know it means a lot you.
Roy has been making fence on the back end of our place between us & the neighbor in the back. 3/4 of a mile of fence.  Now after haying he can turn the cattle up there & they can't get out.  Ge used all steel fence posts.
Remember!! We have a date in August!  We would like some of the rain you speak of.  We having not had a drop in April.  Our poor little strawberry plants.
We haven't been able to get much work done now.  I've had to go to the Dr. for my infection so much.  He didn't help me at all.
I'm using iodine now.  You ought to see my hands.  I have it on both hands & fingers now.  I have to burn skin off before I can kill it.  I believe, after 3 months that I'm doing the right thing now.
Hoping to hear good news from Margaret real soo.
A lot of Love from Roy and Lillian (Greenwell)"       


Get-well Card from Ella McAdam Caufield
"Dear Mrs Upton -
Imagine our surprise to hear of your trip there.  Net wrote that Margaret came in on a plane and that you were doing fine.  I'm so glad it is over and I'm sure that you'll get along fine.  Isn't that place really something - you'd think everyone was sick.  
We are hoping you can get over to Joe's wedding (Her son, Joe Caufield) June 3, but I don't suppose you can make it now.  We are so hoping Aunt Net & Billy (Janet & Willard Waning) will come.  
Bud moved & the few days before Robbie came down with measles.  Then Tommie's got them & they are just out side now.  Such a time.
Hope you have a nioce trip back. The weather has been lovely - Rain - then sunshine.
Best of luck to you & good wishes.
Love, Ella Caufield"    


Postcard from Elsie Upton to Barbara Waning

"April 30, 1951
Dearest Mom & Sis -
I have only time for a very short letter this morning.  I will have to get lunch in a little while, and I have so much work to do I'm almost standing on my head.
As you probably know we changed to daylight savings time Sunday.  I always feel like heck for a few days until I get adjusted to it.  Grover likes it cause he get in more work before the heat of the day.  I'll like it after a while if I ever catch up on my hours sleep that I missed.
Grover came in from fishing about 12:45 last night.  He caught 3 pretty ones at Grace Lake.  He was pretty disappointed, but as I told him he'll have lots of pretty days between now and then end of fishing season.  He had fun anyway.  
Grover is home from the grocery shopping and is studying.  Little Grover is playing outside (it is nice again today) and Little Margaret is playing in the pen.
Hope you are feeling better - sounded from Marg's letter Friday as though you were progressing nicely.  Keep it up!  
Must run & get lunch now.  Let us know how everything is. We'll be thinking of you. 
Hope you are fine, get well soon so you can get back to the good old West Coast & Oregon.  Bye
- Love Grover.
Love, Ellen & all"



    
Card from Elsie Upton to Sandra Waning

"May 8 - 1951
Dear Mom -
I thought I would get a letter off to you yesterday - but didn't make it.  Such a mess - all the kids clothes to put away & my own too - still not through by a long way - but you can get through the house now.  
I had a grand trip home - after we got over Montana the weather cleared - so had a good view of the Rockies & the Cascades too.  They (the Cascades) looked about as impressive to me as the Rockies.  Maybe it was just where we crossed - but there were lots more high peaks in the Cascades.  Had an hour layover in Spokane.  When I got to Seattle I had a most pleasant surprise - there was Jim & he sure did look good!  He liked flying too.  Sun. morning we took an hour's ferry boat ride over to Bremerton - took the plane out at 2:15 DST & in Eugene at 5:30.  Raining again when we landed - not much sight seeing from Seattle down - too foggy.  It cleared some yesterday and is nice today - not very warm.  Going to mow some of the lawn for Jim this PM.  Seems like he has so much to do - course my house needs some floors swept & some dusting done - but guess it will keep.
Found the kids all fine - even Sandie, who is just getting over the measles.  Guess she was a pretty sick little gal.  Helen said she was awake with ear ache most of one night.  Her spots are pretty well faded out - but expect it will be next Monday before she can go to school.  She & Connie are playing dog or horse or something.
Have thought a lot about you and Miss Purcell (the special nurse) - trying to picture at different times of day what you are doing.  Think maybe you are eating lunch now - 12:30 your time.  11:30 here - so Barb will be home for lunch in half an hour.
Several people have called since I got home - Elsie Matthews for one - haven't had much time to call on my own yet - but will soon.  Want to write Ellen too.  Also nice letter from Aunt Ella inquiring about you.  They want Mom W. to go to wedding so bad - I don't know - when she gets her mind made up it's hard to change.  Mom W. said Connie got along fine - never a crying spell - mostly singing & playing all the time. (Also slightly spoiled).
Leaman (Lyman Scott) came over yesterday to say 'hello' & find out how you were.  He is a nice kid (& a big one) - seems like he has grown 6 in. since I saw him last.  Billie (Billie Scott) has been over this morning - curled Connie's hair so she can take her to town pretty soon. 
Not much news - will close now & write again - Love from all of us.  How about a letter from you?
Margaret"         



Card from Elsie Upton to Margaret Waning - the letter she was hoping for!

"5-12-51
Dearest Family:
Thanks so much for the beautiful flowers.  They are just wonderful.  I received your beautiful card and I was so glad to hear from you.  I am so glad Jim met you and you had a nice trip home together. 
I have had some trouble with my arm but it is better. Dr. explained to me what happened. I have had to have the dressing changed every day.  This morning at 8A.M. Monday at 9A.M. Dr. K. doesn't say when I can go home.  I had a nice letter from Jim's Mother Saturday and I was so pleased.  Your Aunt Agnes (Agnes McAdam Ingvalson) wrote me too.  I thought it was kind of her.  I had a nice letter from Elsie M (Elsie Matthews) and a card.  The card came this morning. 
I am sorry Sandy had measles.  I thought she had them when Barbie did.  Mrs. Waning told me what a time Barbie and Connie had watching for you.
This is a beautiful day.  Do you think I should take a plane home or back by train?
I asked Dr. K. when he thought I could go gome and he said, don't be in a hurry.  I will see him Tuessday 1:30P.M.  You have a package from Ellen.  I believe it is stockings and she sent me a book by Betty MacDonald.  It was very good reading.  She said she was sending me a package for Mother's Day.  It hasn't come yet.  I must write the Hall Family.  Did you get Miss P's letter?
There were a few days I couldn't write but I am getting better and I hope I stay that way.  
I will get you girls a gift for Mother's Day when I get home.  I went up town one day and I got so tired I havent tried it since.  I hope to see you soon.  Every thing is getting noce and green here.  Give my girls all my love.  I will try to write to them.
Bye for now.  With my love, Mom"   


1 comment:

Thanks so much for taking the time comment!