Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Letters to Margaret Upton Waning - Mayo Clinic - 1951

While in Rochester, MN in April and early May of 1951, Margaret Upton Waning noted in her letters home to James Waning that she was stressed, tired, and lonesome.  She did receive several letters from friends and family while staying at the Hotel Damon in Room #302. These letters were a source of comfort to her.     
Below are some excerpts:

"Sandy, Ore. Apr. 27, '51
Dear Elsie & Margaret, -
So very glad to get your Letter!  Also so glad to know that the operation is over, we feel that everything will come out alright. Those Drs know their business.
Margaret, Roy & I both say that you are the grandest person!  Your letters are wonderful!...
Lots of  Love,
Roy & Lillian (Greenwell)"




Elsie Greenwell Upton and Waning Grandchildren - circa 1950

This letter from Janet McAdam Waning alludes to Connie staying with her...
"Apr. Thurs 26 1951 
Your card and enclosed card and letter were rec'd & you'll just have to imagine how greatly they are appreciated & all the questions (from Connie) ...'and Grandma is in this room & Mommie in another - in the picture of the hotel on paper' - & all the things she'll say to you when you get home - she is doing just grand - fine isn't the word -Sandra visited her one evening while Mr. & Mrs. Scott went to Oakridge...they (girls) had a wild time singing & dancing - & Old Maid - but it was all right when Sandra went - not a whimper."
Here Janet Waning makes reference to her stay in Rochester about 1900 - her mother, Mary Burnet McAdam had stomach cancer, and went to Mayo for medical attention.
No - there was no Colonial - Kaylor, Damon or Subway - just the Rochester & Cook hotels - Cook the best - we stayed at the Rochester with all the rest of sick folks & friends - & it had a nice big dining room - some changes should take place in about 50 years....
Connie scribbled a letter to Ella (Ella McAdam Caufield) & I asked her what she said - she said "I said 'Aunt Ella dear I love you' so I wrote that interpretation to Ella - Letter from Agnes (Agnes McAdam Ingvalson) not much new except Julia Melby was getting $1500 worth of blue rugs - kinda gets Agnes's goat I think...
Mom Waning"


"Eugene, Oregon April 21, 1951
Dear Margaret & Grandma Upton.
We got your card today and Sandy was quite thrilled also Jim came over and gave me a report on his letter...So you think flying is quite alright, I have to admit it's the only way to travel and get there quick...We are getting along just fine...Sandy felt a little blue and lonesome the nite you left and stayed with Jim until bed time but since she hardly goes over - just a new minutes at a time then she's back over here.  They left a few minutes ago for the Carnival (Condon School)
and she looked like a big doll.  She had on her plaid full skirt, white blouse & pants with bells on them. I had washed and curled her hair today and she was really stepping high.  Barbie looked cute too - she had on a green print dress and Hope had her hair combed real nice and I don't think you need to worry about her because every time I've seen her she's been as neat as a pin.  Hope put her hair in pin curls the other nite and the next day it looked just darling.  Since then she's had the front braided and back in cluster curls.  Oh, your daddy looks like he's keeping himself clean and combed too!
Sandie is an angel child only some people don't realize it...The only real struggle I had was trying to to everything like two different mothers do it, and Sandy just couldn't see why she had to change her slip in the middle of the week, & couldn't wear her dress the second day...
Well bye-bye for now with all our Love,
The Scotts & Sandy"


Letter from Barbara

"Apr 29 Sun Morn 10 min till 11:00 D.S.T.
Dear Mammie,
My it is such a relief to be back on daylight savings time !!! I can get up at five instead of four now!  Still get to work at the same time, isn't that wonderful?  Just finished writing checks for light & water and Bendix fixing.  It seems I spend most of my waking hours at home at this desk.  If I were writing to you all the time I wouldn't mind so much, but it is something all the time...You remember, perhaps, Grandmother U. left me two signed checks to fill out for (Grandfather Upton's Portland hospital) that purpose.  Well, I thought being signed I should put them away where no one would find it. Well, I like to never found them myself.  Looked for them a little two or three times then finally put in an hour dumping all the stuff out of my two drawers I knew they were in some book or pad in one of those drawers, finally they fell out of one I had look through a dozen times...
Barbie and I are here alone.  Have had breakfast and dishes done etc.  She practiced the piano about fifteen minutes and wound up bawling about what a teacher's pet Marilyee is and how wonderful she can play the piano etc, etc, etc.  Both kids Barb & Sandie are going to take some straightening out...Then I asked Barb to help dry dishes and finally wound up helping myself. Neither of the girls turned a hand.  Didn't want to cause a scene away from home but have a feeling there will be some wonderful ones when they get home again.  I can hardly wait to get started....Barbie hasn't mowed the lawn or even touched the mower once and doesn't intend to.  Don't know just what to do...
It finally started to rain after 26 dry days in April.  Began a little Fri morn and has been showering since...Don't think we will get enough to bother me much as it is getting late in the season for steady rain (I hope!),  It is the first rain on the new gravel road.  Was beginning to think the gravel was just wasted...
I should have had Gale W. helping me put the new roller in the cat but it is bad to crawl around under the car in the rain.  Next weekend maybe I will get started unless you should be coming home and I would have to interrupt everything to meet you.
Maybe I could get Helen to meet you,  Boy Oh Boy!  She comes over nearly every evening and talks and talks and talks...
Got your 'thing' (a pamphlet about Rochester) all about Rochester Friday was mad at it.  All day I had looked forward to a long letter then that 'thing' with about a dozen words written on it.  Didn't even say you love me...Yesterday I got your letter so felt some better...Between the telephone and Helen I sure get talked to death.  I clean up in the evening and hurry to Cables before the telephone gets me.  Dwaddle over my supper then home for a late talk with Helen. Pooiee.  Well I must close, get Sandie...and go to Dexter...
Love and hurry home, (Jim Waning)
PS Asked Barb several times if she didn't want to enclose a letter.  She says yes but hasn't written a word.  Just wanders around.  She sure misses you.  Lonesome causes the crying I guess."    

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time comment!