Friday, January 15, 2010

Wexford, Ireland - January 1979

"15 January 1979

I think that I am not going to loose any weight while I am where after all!!!  I had thought that I wouldn't like the food - but thus far I can't complain!  And what with all the teas and all - plus the fact that all the television commercials are about different brands of chocolate candy bars - Cadbury, Jacobs, etc.  I feel duty bound to try them all!  And of course there are hundreds of different kinds of biscuits (cookies) that I have to try! 



Today Sean drove Rita and me downtown after lunch.  We separated and I got the key and went into Selskar Abbey - locked myself in, it was all very exciting!  And spooky too - I found a rodent skeleton all strung out.  Then I went up and took at peek into one of the twin churches - Church of the
Immaculate Conception and then I went downtown and checked out some of the shops - I seemed to have spent most of my time in supermarkets and grocery shops - I bought three different kinds of biscuits - I ate one whole box when I was up here waiting for Rita to come back and let me in!  I got some Edna O'Brien books I needed and treated myself to a new Essie Summers!  Yes, well I supposed that some things never change! 



I took a peak in at the Church of Assumption with its convent - I actually saw one of the nuns in white and scarlet - they never speak and one of them is always in the church praying.  They are supposed to sing sometimes during the day I want to find out so I can listen.  I've been in Ireland a week now - I can't believe it - time has flown by!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time comment!