Monday, January 11, 2010

Wexford, Ireland January 1979



"Thursday 11 January 1979

Help!  I do not believe this has happened to me.  I am now ensconced with Rita, Sean, Elizabeth, Frank, and Shane.  Today was another lovely day as we left on a bus to go down to Wexford at 11am.  We went down by way of The Meeting of the Waters (Avoca) and finally down to Wexford - which looked really lovely coming across Wexford Bridge and seeing the "twin churches" and the rest of the town.  Though I must admit that it was much larger than I had expected - or anyone else for that matter - I think that we all had visions of 30-odd cottages by the sea or something like that.  Anyway I'd say Wexford is about the size of Cottage Grove, Creswell, or even Roseburg and all of us have been comfortably settled in the suburbs.  I can see some problems already with my family - I wonder what I am supposed to do most the the time?  As Rita does not drive and Sean works out of town, not coming home until 5:45 - am I supposed to sit at home for a month?  I have a feeling that I am not going to see towns close by like Rosslare, and Tintern Abbey, and New Ross.  Rita I shall get along with just fine...  Sean seems very distant - probably he didn't want me here and is upset at having his routine changed - a cardinal sin tonight - dinner was late because of me!  Rita kept trying to give me tea - I even gulped 1/2 a cup down - full of milk and sugar - ugh!"
 


"Tonight I "went out with the girls."  Thursday night is Rita's night out with Margaret, Betty, and Kathleen.  We went to White's - a hotel - to the bar and I saw all the things one is supposed to see - giving each other cigarettes and buying each other drinks - they split up 2 and 2.  For a while there I thought that I was going to ruin their weekly outing - but things picked up and I discovered that Kathleen is a great fan of Edna O'Brien so I can borrow books from her - handy because some of the books she has are banned here.  And the electricity has been off all evening and went off again at midnight.  So went to Margaret's house and talked with her and her husband Philip.  Both of whom I like very much.  Margaret is an Englishwoman and more outspoken and outgoing than Rita - a good influence on her I think.  Margaret is also alot more wealthy having a dishwasher, clothes dryer, and "caravan" - all things the Dunnes don't have.  And I must admit, G.W. was right - it is COLD here!"    

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time comment!