Saturday, September 4, 2010

Otto and Elsie Go to Pennsylvania - Part 6

Garland, PA Countryside


"Monday P.M.
9-2-46

Dearest Margaret, Jim, & My Girls:

Grandmother and Bobby are asleep and Mildred is washing for Bobby and the men have gone for a ride to see a Beaver Dam.  Parney came home yesterday and stayed last night and he is still here.  They have been doing some hunting and this morning Dad helped to cut some corn.  Mildred had such a nice dinner for Sunday and she wished you were all here.

We hope to be home soon.  We are supposed to hear tomorrow just when we can get our  reservations.  Dad is just as anxious to get started home as I am.  I believe he has had a good visit with the folks.  They have been very kind a good to us.

I am writing with my tablet in my lap.  I must write to Ellen1 and Grover too.  I am sure glad to hear Mr. Waning2 has had his teeth pulled and is feeling better.  It was too bad about Mrs. Waning's friend having a stroke.
  
We went out to dinner Saturday night.  I think the folks enjoyed getting out.  We didn't get any mail to-day and I missed getting a letter from some of my girls.  I miss my little girls and want to see them.

I did a little wash out this morning and have finished ironing it.  It is so cold here most of the time, not a bit like August.

I will have alot to tell you when we get home.  I am glad for you that you are going to have a nice clean house.

Tuesday Morning
Dad and Robert have gone to the barn and every one else is in bed, so I will try to finish this letter and get it in the mail.  We may go out to Jamestown to-day and I hope to hear just when we can come home.

I will be glad to get home.  Don't tell Olivia3 I said that, she would write and tell the folks.  It is so cold here you are uncomfortable most of the time,  U want to see my little girls, love them for me.

I hear Mildred in the kitchen so I had better finish this and see if I can help a little with the breakfast.  They have breakfast so late, about 8:30 or nine.

Bye bye dearies.  Hope to see you very soon.  Mildred is just coming down stairs and it is 8A.M.  Four back home.

With love from us,
Dad and Mom"

1 Otto and Elsie's youngest daughter - Ellen Upton Hall and her son Grover C. Hall III 
2 James Waning's parents - Billy and Net Waning of Dexter, Oregon
3 Olivia Upton Adams - Otto's sister - born March 1885 she married George Adams and lived in Newport, Portland, and Eugene, Oregon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time comment!