Thursday, March 24, 2011

Summer 1942 - The Accident - Letters - Part 1

The cards and letters began arriving almost immediately!

Envelope


Letter from Fred Furrow

This letter was written quite soon after the accident.

"9730 SE Ellis St
Portland Ore
June 26 - 1942

Mr James Waning
c/o Sacred Heart Hospital
Eugene OR

Dear Jim -,

I got at letter from my mommie this eve. with a clipping attached saying you had been seriously hurt no details.  I surely do hope not too serious and a speedy recovery is soon in store for you.  I will be in Eugene Sunday and if it is possible to see you I want to try to.

As I have worked and lived my life so far, I have worked and lived along  side a few people, who memory of, I carry along with me with deep appreciation, and you seem to be one of them and I surely hope you will be well soon.  If I should not be able to see you and you are not able to answer possibly Margaret would drop me a card and give me the dope on the situation.

I am working in a machine shop here in portland(sic) have been here a month & a half.  I am holding down a machinist job and getting along fine.  haven't(sic) moved down yet but expect to soon after the forth.  I make 60.00 per week overtime makes it more.

I would like to send best wishes to your folks & Family say Hello to all for me.  And again I'm wishing the very best for you.

Your Friend
Fred Furrow" 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time comment!