Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Summer 1942 - The Accident - 2nd Letter From June Gantenbein Suckow

June Gantenbein Suckow sent a card and two letters - all in the same envelope.  This letter is written with a pencil.  Let's discover why!  

Letter - Page 1

"July 7, 1942

Dear Margaret:

Am I a dumbbell!  The enclosed letter I addressed to "Springfield, Wash".  I wrote a card to Helen1 at the same time - I supposed her card went to "Republic Oreg".  I just haven't time to write a new letter, so I'll send it to you anyway.  I understand Jim is a little better than you thought.  I sure hope that's right.  I'm enclosing a card for him - it's meant to cheer..."

Letter - Page 2

"...him up - but if he's not in the right mood for something like that, don't give it to him.  (I mean well, but I don't know how he is exactly).  The card is too big so I'll mail the letter with the card.

I'm sorry I haven't mailed B.A.'s2 pkg. yet - today I hope - tomorrow sire!

I have strawberries I picked last night on the stove - I'm supposed to go pick raspberries at 9a.m. so I just have to say Goodbye!

I love you all!

June & family

P.S. My pen is in where the kids are sleeping - excuse please!"

1 June's sister - Helen Gantenbein
2 B.A. = Barbara Ann


Almost 70 years later, members of the extended Greenwell Family are still picking raspberries and making jam!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time comment!