Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Summer 1942 - The Accident - Letter from June Gantenbein Suckow

June also sent a letter soon after the accident!

Letter - Page 1

"July 2, 1942

Dear Margaret,

We are all so terribly sorry about Jim's accident.  We are all thinking about him and praying for him.  You don't know how hard we hope that he will be all right.  Ellen has been keeping us (via Ma1) informed, but we are anxious to hear more when ever you can write.

I am at Mom's - came to see Dad2.  He is much better 2/3 well he says.  The Dr. said he had to say in bed 1 or 2 days more!  Dad is too hot - he wants..."

Letter Page 2

"...up.  But he has to be careful.

This is the first time I havew been in Portland since last January, and boy, Oh Boy, is it a hot one.  I should go home but I'm afraid I'd cook before I got there.

Thank you so much for Corky's3 package.  Those are the cutest little shirts.  They are just as dear as they can be.  They look awfully nice on him and, he was so happy to have some "square" money."

Letter Page 3

"Judy3 got a little sweater with her birthday dollar.  That was when it was cool.

I have a package for Barby-Ann, at last.  I am awfully sorry to be so late with it.  I guess it's her 2 1/2 birthday.  I won't get it in the mail today, but I'll try to do it tomorrow.

Margaret dear, write when you can, and if there is anything we can do, you just whistle.  I imagine Jim is not interested in anything much now, is he?  As soon as he is able, we will write to him, and try to help make the time pass for him.

Our love from us all (mother & Dad, too)

June"
Letter - Page 4

1 Ma - Fanny Greenwell Gantenbein - Margaret's maternal aunt 
2 Fred Gantenbein - Fanny's husband
3 Corkey & Judy - June & Milton's children.
    

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time comment!