Thursday, February 3, 2011

Olivia Upton Adams in Pennsylvania - 1956

Olivia Upton Adams - Envelope - 1956


In the summer of 1956, Olivia Upton Adams travelled back to the Erie, PA area to visit family and friends. 
While there, she wrote her niece, Margaret Upton Waning a letter.

Oliva Upton Adams Letter - Page 1

"Aug 21st '56

Dear Margaret -

I have been thinking of you & yours tho I haven't written, it seems hard to get the chance for a few minutes quiet.  Everyone here in the east is well but Claude Price and Robert(1) he is still working farming between rain and bad electric storms.  Sat night was the worse(sic) I ever see(sic).  I have been on the go so much I better wait untill I return home to make any report.  I was at Rosses(2) from Sat eve Aug 4th untill Aug 11th.  Stayed with Mary Prentill untill Aug 15th then with farm folks untill Sun Aug 19.  Parney(3) came down & I returned with them and will be here from now on, there are so many here on the lake shore & Parney will drive me around as he works only three days a week.  The Sat before..."

Olivia Upton Adams Letter - Page 2

I arrive Uncle Clarence Player's(4) funeral was held.  He had passed very suddenly.  I am expecting Stina from Oil City(5) this next week.  My old school chum Daisy came over last night and we had another visit.  She lives on another street about a block from here.  She is expecting her son from Florida this next week and is looking forward to his coming as her husband passed away about a year ago & she is quite lonely, tho she trys(sic) to be brave. 
Well we have had rain & more rain and thunder lightening storms, farmers haven't all haying done yet.  Robert had his but now worrying over his oats he last 20 acres & ripe but can't get on grown but today it looks like clearing, sun out cold wind.  Hope everyone is well, I seem to be standing up pretty good.  Be seeing you after Sep 1st.

Love to all Olivia"

1 Robert Upton born 1898 the baby of the family
2 Ross Upton born 1893
3 Parney Upton born 1888 - child #2 - He moved to Erie,PA while his brothers Robert and Ross stayed in the Garland, PA area (Olivia was the eldest - followed by 4 brothers)  
4 Clarence Player - not clear to me - perhaps a Carter relative
5 Oil City, PA "Oil City is a city in Venango County, Pennsylvania, United States that is noted especially in the instrumental exploration and development of the petroleum industry. After the first oil wells were drilled nearby in the 1850s, Oil City became central in the petroleum industry while hosting headquarters for the Pennzoil, Quaker State, and Wolf's Head motor oil companies."
From Wikipedia

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time comment!