Wednesday, August 24, 2011

February 1943 - A Letter From June - Part One

In early February Margaret's maternal cousin, June Gantenbein Suckow sent a long, newsy letter.

Envelope

Letter - Page 1

"Boring, Oreg.
Feb. 11, 1943

Dear Margaret, Jim and Barbara Ann,

Thank you very much for our Xmas presents.  We all like them very much.  We've been having water trouble more often than not this winter, so I wash when and if I can - so you can see how happy I was to get towels.  Ma Suckow has been trying to talk me into getting brown ones like she uses so now I can say, "These were given to me", and I'm not disobeying my mother-in-law either.  The wash cloths are, of..."

Letter - Page 2

"...course, to pretty to use.  The apron and dish-covers I'm using even if they are pretty - I guess that's what they are for.  The kids love their books.  They are beautiful books.  We save them for special occasions.  Thanks so very much for all the things.  I hope I didn't get things mixed up - there sure was a commotion around here about package-opening time.

I enjoyed having Helen1 here - I don't see her very often either.  Helen and Ellen2 both in California.  Lucky aren't they?  I hope Ellen is very happy.  She told me a little about her boy friend when she was out here one time so I wasn't too surprised.  It..."
Letter - Page 3

"...just doesn't seem right for that little imp to be a grown-up married lady, though.  There was quite a run on Greenwell cousins getting their names changed lately, wasn't there?  It sounds like Ellen might be going to some interesting places if 'Grover' (I might as well get used to his name) is subject to 'transfer without notice.'

We are glad to hear that Jim is getting around and doing things.  From what you said, he is expecting to get better yet.  We'll be very happy to have you live in Portland3.  If you can't find a house in town there might be some around here..."

Letter to be continued...

1 Helen - June's younger sister, Helen Gantenbein
2 Margaret's newlywed sister, Ellen Upton Hall
3 Reference to the Waning family's pending move to Portland - Jim would soon be employed by Iron Fireman.  .

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time comment!