Monday, August 22, 2011

January 1943 - Ellen Upton Weds

1943 begins with a letter from the newlywed Ellen Upton Hall and her husband Grover C. Hall.

Upton / Hall Wedding Announcement
Register Guard Newspaper - January 1943


Envelope

Letter - Page 1

"January 11, 1943

Dear Margaret,

Do you feel richer?  You should with a brand new brother-in-law.  And let me tell you something.  He is the grandest husband a girl could have.  Really though I am the happiest that I have ever been in my whole life.

I supposed Mother told you about the wedding.  I wrote her a letter Saturday and told her all about it.

Grover & Ellen Upton Hall - 8 Jan 1943

We came down here to Sacramento yesterday morning.  Grover had some business that he had to attend to.  So if you write in the next few days you can send..."  

Letter - Page 2

"...it to this address.  After that I will send you my address from where ever we are.

It was too bad that we missed V'Ona the other night, but it was well that we left when we did as it turned out.

Oh yes, Grover had his pin when we got in Yuba City the other day.  He did like it and seems to be so proud of it.  Am glad he got it.

Jan. 15, 1943

Was interrupted the other night by some of Grover's friends.  They came to give us a house warming or something.  They made us go out to get treats for them and you know this city as big as it is there wasn't a box of candy anywhere.  We got them some nuts and stuff instead.  They..."     

Letter - Page 3

"...said if we didn't that they were going to take one of us to one end of town and the other to the other part.  So we decided we had better get them something.

I was going to give you the address to this apartment where we are staying but we are leaving Monday so there is no use.  Grover has a job near Courtland (sp?) and I am not sure as yet of what our address will be.  I will drop you a postcard as soon as I do know.

Grover & Ellen Upton Hall - 3 Jan 1943

Well Sis, this hasn't been much of a letter I know, but when I get settled I can write you more.  Give Jimmie and Barbie my love.

Love, Ellen"

Letter - Page 4

"Hello Sis:

Ellen is sitting across the table and asked me if I wanted to add a line or two.
Really you should see our sun (El sol).  It makes you think of everything - But Oregon!  Ellen and I are happy & I know we will always be that way.  You should feel proud that you have such a fine sister.  Tell Jim & Bill hello for me.  And tell Barbie she has a new uncle - I hope she likes him.  Write soon & I will try to write more next time.

Love Grover" 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time comment!