Thursday, August 18, 2011

1942 - A Year End Letter from Nellie (Ellen) Carter Upton - Part 2

Nellie Upton's letter to her grand-daughter continues...

Ellen August (Nellie) Carter Upton (1863-1953)

Letter - Page 4

"...We had that full & allmost one of The others & We had twoo Hundred Bushels of Husked corn & We Must of had two Hundred Bushels potatoes  We Sold one Hundred Dollars Worth as Soon as We dug them  We had twenty two cows & We Bought a Milking Machine that helped us out  us Women had to help out doors a lot & We had alot of Berries  I Never see such a call for Berries as there Was this year   We wouldent begin to fill the orders & they would get ten & twelve Bushels out a day besides the little ordesr such as ten & twelve quarts  So you see We Were to tired to do much Writeing but I so apreciate Ellen Writeing to Me if I dident answer all of hur letters Well it allmost Christmas I Wonder if you folks can get togather & if you Meet With your folks or if they come..."  
Letter - Page 5

"to your Home  I wonder if Jim is able to Ride or can go away from  I know your folks Will do all they can for you to Make it pleasant for yo  Hope you all have a Happy Christmas  is V.ona still Working in the Bank & is Barbary Ann Still growing as fast as she did  She Must be So Sweet hur Picture Says So any Way & Hug & Kiss Hur Many times for Me   I Would dearly love to See hur  Well I guess you Will think I tryed to print a Newspaper but please Excuse My Grammer & all Mistakes & I Will hafto close for this time for it is getting Supper time  So Will Say Good By With lotts of love to all..." 

Letter Page 6

"...Write When you get time  I love to here from you all
With love
Grand Mother"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time comment!