Monday, August 8, 2011

Summer 1942 - The Accident - A Letter From Fred Furrow

In early August Jim received a letter from Fred Furrow...

Envelope

Letter - Page 1

"Portland OR
Aug 2. 1942

Mr James Waning
Eugene Ore

Dear Friend -

Got your card and appreciated it very much.  Hope this finds you getting along with marked improvement.  Boy I think of you often.  Hope you can sleep better by now and keep a lot of courage.  Perhaps you could catalogue your reading interests I would do some thing about the matter.  I just seems to me I'd like to lend a hand but nothing I can do.

I was in Eugene 2 weeks ago today and would have come to see you but just wans't a minute to spare.  I drove down packed up our junk  took part of it to the ranch and moved - a good place to live, you can't find a place to live and can't buy any lumber to build a place to live.

We are under going quite a thunder storm I never saw one just like it it has been almost continuous for hours seems to be centered around Mt. Hood.

Don't seem to be much news to write about get up in the morning and go to work then home chore around go to bed.  GEt up for the same thing.  It takes me 12 minutes by bus to get from here down town about 4 1/2 miles then about 35 minutes to get from town to work about 2 miles all adds up to about 1 hr to be sure and get there on time.  1 1/2 hrs to get home they sure over work these buses - standing loads almost all the time..."   

Letter - Page 2

"...and then they say there will be some 20 or 20 thousand more men needed in a short time.

Well Jim I'll saw off and go to work and hope this helps the day for you a tiny bit when you get it.

Hello to your Family and folks.

Your friend,
Fried Furrow

9004 SE 7th St
Portland, Ore." 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time comment!