Monday, November 7, 2011

December 1943 - A 2nd Letter From Elsie Greenwell Upton

Elsie wrote a short note three days later upon learning her grand-daughter was ill.  The illness was serious enough to suggest a long distance phone call might be in order. 
Letter - Page 1

"Springfield, Oregon
12-16-43

Dear Margaret, Jim and Barbie:

I hope Barbie is better.  I know you will do every thing that can be done dear for our darling but I do wish I could help.  Your card came this P.M. and I haven't been able to get my mind on any thing else.  Margaret I remember you children would always feel worse at night and temperature would go up and better in the morning.  Please let us know how she is.  Grandad is going to feel pretty bad about his helper.  I have been trying to wrap a few gifts and it just doesn't work.  There are so many things I would like to talk over with you.  I mailed Ellen's and Fannie's packages." 

Letter - Page 2

"I was trying to write cards this morning and Mrs. Carr was talking to me and I made more mistakes.  I like company but I can't write when they are talking.  I will be thinking of Barbie every minute.  Call us if necessary and charge at this end of the line.  We will be anxious to hear from you.  With our love,

Dad and Mom" 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time comment!