Wednesday, November 2, 2011

December 1943 - A Letter From Elsie Greenwell Upton - Part One

As Christmas neared, Elsie wrote to her daughter and family.

Envelope

Letter - Page 1

"Springfield, Oregon
12-13-43

Dearest Margaret, Jim, and Barbie:

I was sorry Barbie couldn't stay with us longer.  She was just as good as a little girl could be.  I have finished my wash and tho't I would write to you while I rest.  Barbie helped me wash last Monday and my clothes looked the best they have in a long time.  I was glad to have some of Barbie's little things in my wash.  She said something funny I will have to tell you.  I knew she should go to the bathroom and I was trying to convince her she should go and she said, 'Grandmother I don't have to grunt for I did those things at home.'  She finaly(sic) went and was a much happier little girl.

Barbara - 1942

Dad and I enjoyed her a lot and the..."

Letter - Page 2

"...house was so quiet and we were lonesome when she went home.  Thank you for letting us have her for a few days.  About the dress she tho't Mrs. Gerlach gave her, I am not surprised.  That was to be a Christmas present but Mrs. Gerlach didn't understand it that was so she finished it for her while she was here.  Nothing was said who gave it to her.  Mrs. Gerlach made it for me to give her.  I hope it is alright.  I think those were nice gifts you got for June's1 kiddies.  You can't get much or any thing but what it will cost a lot.  I got Dianne a book and paid $2.50 for it.  It is a nice story about a horse.  I hope she will like it.  I read the story and tho't it was good."

Letter - Page 3

"If I knew where Don was I would send him something.  I mailed Ellen and Grover a package last Thursday.  I tried to make it look like Christmas and I hope they get it in time.  We had a letter from Ellen Saturday and she has another bad cold.  I am worried about her for she has so many bad colds.  I had sent her winter clothes to her the week before and she hadn't received them yet.  I hope she gets them alright.

Dad when(sic) up to Fall Creek Sunday to look after his cattle.  It was pretty cold Sunday so I stayed home and wrote letters and Xmas cards.  I had a letter from Adah2.  She said Dortha's3 husband had called her from Frisco and she went to where he was and spent 9 days with..."


LETTER TO BE CONTINUED...

1 June Gantenbein Suckow - daughter of Fred Gantenbein and Fannie Greenwell Gantenbein
2 Adah Long Greenwell - wife of George Greenwell
3 Dortha - the oldest daughter of George and Adah Long Greenwell

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time comment!