Friday, November 4, 2011

December 1943 - A Letter From Elsie Greenwell Upton - Part Two

Elsie's Letter Continues...

Letter - Page 4

"...spent 9 days with him.  She has been very lonely since his ship left for some where in the S. Pacific.  This all happened in Nov.  They had their Thanksgiving to-gether.  They are very proud to be grandparents.

Elton Greenwell Smith1 was born Nov. 13th.  I was going to sent you his little announcement card but I can't find it now but will look it up.  Geo. and Adah2 have been working their house over and she is pleased with it.  She wishes she could have had it better when the girls were young and growing up.  She is not the only one that wishes that.  We had a letter from Olivia3 last week and they wanted us to come down there for Christmas.  I tried to be nice when I wrote her but I told her we couldn't come.  I told her you were coming home.  We wouldn't..."
Letter - Page 5

"...have gone any way.  Christmas is a special day for those you love.  I am glad if you girls learned to love Christmas as I always have.  Will Aunt Fannie and Uncle Fred spend Christmas with June and Family?  I hope you can sell your home soon.  It is hard to be un-settled.  It will be grand to have you near so we can see you often.  Dad said he saw the largest deer yesterday at green tops that he ever saw.  Jim will know where that is.  Dad has all the work done on his barn he plans to do this winter.  It sure is nice here this P.M.  I am going up town and mail my letters and cards.  I don't know why but we haven't had our mail to-day.  I stood in line 3/4 of an hour trying to mail Ellen's package.  I have Helen's ready..."

Letter - Page 6

"...to mail but I believe I will wait a day or two to mail it.  Take good care of my Sugar Pie and yourselves.  Bye for now.  Write often. With our love,

Dad and Mom

Dad said this morning he would like to take a week off but he was afraid he would want two instead of one.  I wish he could have a vacation.  He didn't get to go hunting this year."
  

1 son of Elton and Esther Greenwell Smith
2 George and Adah Long Greenwell - parents of Dortha and Esther Greenwell Smith
3 Olivia - Otto's sister - Olivia Upton Adams

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time comment!