Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Late December 1943 - A Letter From Ellen Upton Hall - Part One

1943 ends with a letter from Ellen Upton Hall.

Letter - Page 1

"30 Dec 1943

Dearest Sis & family,

We got your letter last night and sure was glad to hear from you.  Sis, congratulations on the expected arrival.  Gee whiz, I was ever(y) bit as excited when I read your news as I was before Barbie came.  If you do even half as good as you did before not matter whether it be boy or girl it will be might swell.  I hope however you don't feel too bad.

James, Barbara, and Margaret - 1943

Also, Sis and family I want to thank you so much for the 'family' picture.  You couldn't have given us anything we would have liked better. 

It was almost like having a visit from the Waning family.  And Barbie, I just love my pretty apron and hankie.  It is about the prettiest apron I ever..."

Letter - Page 2

"...had.  And someday when you come to dinner, I'll wear it and show you how nice it looks.

Your package sure came just in time.  We had just finished opening our other presents when a boy brought yours to the door.  Mother B. sent me the prettiest nightie - first one I ever owned (I think at least as far back as I remember).  It is about as fancy as your black one only pink.

I understand from your letter that you were going to be home with Mom and Dad until your house is sold.  I bet they will be happy to have you and Barbie.  Can't say as I blame them, I'd be glad to have you come see me too."

LETTER TO BE CONTINUED...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time comment!