Monday, December 13, 2010

Christmas 1947

Henrietta (Retta) Wallace Francis was a maternal cousin to the McAdam clan.  Her mother, Agnes Burnet and the McAdam family's mother, Mary Burnet were sisters.  Both family left Glasgow and settled in the US - the McAdams living in Minnesota and the Wallace family in Ohio before moving to California.  The girl cousins wrote and visited frequently.

This letter from 1947 continues the themes of the trip to Maine, Magna's illness, and expands on the changes to the Francis and Emert / Emmert families.  As Retta lived in southern California, she was able to observe the Emmert family first-hand, and was not shy about sharing her observations!   

Card - Front

"Dec 19, 1947
Whittier, Calif

Dear Nett:

I owe you a letter so will make this Holiday Greeting do double duty.  I supposed Billy (1) is home and all settled in his old routine once more.  I do hope he enjoyed his trip.  I know you would be so glad to have him back, also Newman.  I know he, too, missed Billy very much. 

I am alone until eight tonight.  Dorothy(2) took this week off school to work at the book store - she will get in nearly three weeks.  She worked after school all last week.  With everything so terribly high she says she will quit and work the go back next fall - But I said no - if she quits I am through - and if she goes back it will be with her own money.  I'll manage as long as she studies good and makes her grades.  She thinks she is learning a lot about business and I want her to go this year at least.  She was taken into one of the sororities last week - in formal.  She looks adorable in a formal.  She still likes Keith but they aren't going steady - she has other dates which I think is fine since they both go to school.  He never takes anyone else out - She has started to knit some socks - she has to be busy."    

Card - Inside

"I had a Xmas Card from Agnes(3) today - saying Magna(4) was still at Rochester - Agnes is afraid her trouble is malignant.  Too bad - I'll bet Matt is terribly worried.

Beth(5) called last week - first time since Mary's(6) death.  They have been so busy - Del did get his hands burned where he works but was back to work when she called.  Then they had guests in the house - I'll bet it is like a hotel - I never asked how the Big Shot(7) was.  He will be spreading it on thicker than ever since he inherited all the thousands.  I wouldn't be surprised if he married again.  There is a widow - a sister of the Morris' who might try to get him - but I am just guessing.  I don't suppose he is peddling spices now.  So I don't know what became of Mary's things or who is in the house but I suppose that lady has taken possession - I sure do hate her if it is wicked to do so.  I am glad Mary is at rest away from it all - she was so unhappy with that woman."  

Rhetta and Dorothy's Home - Whittier, CA - 1947

"I had a flare of high blood pressure affecting my heart - so I am on a diet (not too strict) and want to lose a little weight.  Eight weeks of visiting and eating every one's good cooking (yours included) made me put on weight and I hadn't lost a pound.  Next year I will be out office in the Chapter so won't have so much to do.  We are having it quite cool - had a good rain two weeks ago which washed off all the dust.  Let me hear from you when you have time.

Wish we could be together at Xmas - Tom's(8) will be here.

With love and good wishes to you all as ever from,
Retta"

1 Willard Lowe Waning's iconic trip to Maine, Massachusetts, and Montana
2 Retta's adopted daughter, Dorothy (Dot) Francis Thompson
3 Agnes McAdam Ingvalson
4 Magna Larson McAdam (1877-1848), Matthew McAdam Jr's wife
5 Beth Emmert (1919-1955) married to Del Yount - she lost her mother in Nov 1946 and her grandmother in Sept 1947.
6 Janet McAdam Waning's oldest sister, Mary Burnet Emert (1863-1947) passed 21 Sept 1947
7 Bob (Robert) Emmert probably with the deaths of his wife and mother he may have inherited their estates. 
8 Retta's brother, Thomas Wallace (1879-1949)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time comment!