Tuesday, December 14, 2010

A Journey Back Home - Massachusetts - 1947 - Part Three

Envelope

This short letter to Billy's daughter-in-law, Margaret Waning, gives a few more details of his 1947 trip Massachusetts, Maine, and Montana - who knew? 


Page 1 of Letter
"Reading, Mass
Sept/24

Dear Margaret and family

I will write a line to let you know that I lived through the deal.  We got to N.Y. Tuesday AM.  I enjoyed the trip all but the last of of it.  Got quite rough and did I get sick(1) so I took the train from there to Boston.  Stayed all nite.  Came to Reading today - found only one of the boys that worked in the store(2) with us - Ernie Alward(3) - he came to see me and was he glad to here(sic) how we are..." 

Skippy Richards - 1947

"and I saw Stuart Richards(4) he was two when I came away and I met his wife and 10 year old boy."
Letter - Page 2

They wer(sic) real nice took me to their home would have kept me only she is not well but wanted me to stay untill(sic) they came to the store in the morning so I said yes..."
 Mrs Richards, Mr Forbes (90yrs), Mrs Howes, Mrs Rich - Mass 
I think this is Mr Forbes and his married daughters. 

"and then I will go to Haverhill to look for Joe(5).  Nell Richards(6) the one who used to write me has bin(sic) ded(sic) some little time.  If Joe is living I will stay with him a few days and then go on to ME.  Will write you again.  Love to all.
Your dad, Billy"    

1 One of the few details that made it down further generations was that Billy became extremely airsick and thus was no fan of air travel.  
2 The store owned by the Forbes / Richards Family - Billy worked there from about 1900-1902.
The Forbes and Richards families were originally from Brooks, ME so Billy probably knew both families from there.
3 Ernest Alward was born March 1873 in New Brunswick.  In the 1900 census he is in Reading, ME with an occupation of grocery clerk.
4 Stewart Richards was the son of Fred and Nellie Richards - I have an earlier post with a photo and more information about him here.
5 Billy had lost contact with his older brother, Joseph Waning.  Joseph left Maine and by 1896 was in Haverhill, MA.  In the 1910 census Joe is living with a cousin, Frank Waning.  He married is 2nd wife Rose in 1911.  Sadly he was deceased by 1947.  Billy may have met with Frank's family and Joe's widow Rose - as Rose then corresponds with the Dexter Wanings.
6 Stewart Richard's mother - Nell Forbes Richards.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time comment!