Wednesday, September 21, 2011

June 1943 - A Letter from Ellen - Part One

Envelope

By the end of June 1943, Ellen Upton Hall was in Los Angeles, CA.


Letter - Page 1
"June 28, 1943

Dear Sis and family,

I received your most welcome letter this morning.  I was afraid maybe that you had forgotten that you had a sister way down here in southern Cal.  Say that's cute stationary Mildred gave you.  It tickled me when you said that about your family not getting much to eat when you read your book.  When I went down and got that Grover looked at it and said, "Honey couldn't you find anything else to send her for her birthday?"  I told him that I didn't know of anything you would like better.  He said, "I don't doubt that she will like it but I was just thinking of poor Jim." 

You sure made me hungry telling what Aunt Fannie1 fed you for dinner.  Boy will it seem good to sit down to a family table again and eat a real meal.  But what will seem even better will be to have my own kitchen and cook Grover three meals a day.  We had so much fun when we had our little apartment in Courtland.

I went to see "Aunt Mary"2 last  Wednesday.  She certainly is failing.  I would notice it even from the last time I was..."

Letter - Page 2

"...there.  But her mind is sure just as keen as it ever was.  She never forgets a thing.  I took her out a small cake and we had tea together.  She seemed to enjoy herself immensely.  She said Beth3 and her boy friend had broken up.  That girl has had more boy friends and something always happens.  Wish she would make up her mind.  But supposed I might have been the same way if I hadn't fallen in love with such a grand person as Grover.

Wish I could be with you folks on the 4th - I mean if Grover could be there too.  When Grover leaves Denver I think I will make a trip home.  I planned to come this time.  Grove could (maybe and again maybe not) have gotten a furlough if they hadn't decided to send him to school some more.  We had planned to go up home if he had of but since he couldn't I didn't want to make the trip alone and then clear on to Denver.  I haven't been any too well (but don't tell Mother) and I don't like to travel any more than I have to.  Grover left here a week ago today and got to Fort Logan (12 miles out of Denver) on the 24th.  He says it is beautiful there but how hot.  He rather hated to have me come for fear moving..."

1 Ellen and Margaret's maternal aunt - Fannie Greenwell Gantenbein
2 Mary - Jim Waning's aunt and Janet McAdam Waning's oldest sister - Mary Burnet Emert - lived in the L.A. area
3 Beth - Beth Emmert - Mary Emert's granddaughter

LETTER TO BE CONTINUED...  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time comment!