Wednesday, September 14, 2011

June 1943 - A Letter From Elsie Greenwell Upton - Part One

In June 1943, a letter from Elsie Greenwell Upton arrive in Portland.

Letter - Page 1

"Springfield, Oregon
6-18-43

Dear Margaret, Jim, and Sugar Pie:

It is now 6:30 and Dad said he wouldn't be home not before eight.  I tho't I would write to you while waiting.  This has been a nice day after the rain we had last nigh(sic).  I would like a piece of your pie.  I don't make pies often as they last to(sic) long and I usually have to throw the last piece out.

Margaret dear about Mr Waning, I haven't seen the folks since they were here last Monday on their way to Eugene and I didn't see Mr. Waning then, he stayed in the car.  He is not well and I tho't he looked tired but I didn't think he looked much different than when you were here.  

I told Mrs. Mitchell what you said about her and she was pleased.  She didn't get to go to Portland after all her plans.  Mr. Ray brought me 24 chickens and they looked like a big job.  Mr. Roden killed them for me and Mrs. Mitchell helped me dress them.  She could dress about 3 to my 1.  We had them dressed cut up and in the refrigerator..."    

Letter - Page 2

"... in 4 1/2 hours.  I tho't that was pretty good.  We will give you chicken when you come to see us.  Her daughter and babies came over in the P.M.  She has to(sic) nice little girls. "Judy ask where my girls was."  Gladys called Wednesday and we had quite a visit.  She said she would bring her baby to see me some time soon.  She said her mother and father had been to see them.  Dad had to take a trip out in the country last evening so I went along.  We saw some beautiful country we had never seen before.  Dad took me out to dinner and I enjoyed it a lot.  I am feeling better.  I am going to the Dr. tomorrow and I hope I won't need to go for a week or so again.  I have felt pretty low for two weeks.  

It is after seven and I had better put something on the stove to cook.  I see Dad got a card today from Corporal and Mrs. Grover C. Hall.  Grover is getting along pretty fine.  I tho't of you yesterday.  Dad and I were remembering a lot of things about you when you were our baby."   

Margaret Upton - Age 1


Letter to be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time comment!