Thursday, September 22, 2011

June 1943 - A Letter from Ellen - Part Two

Ellen Upton Hall's letter of June 28, 1943 continues...

Letter - Page 3

"...and the heat would be too much for me, but he doesn't know me cause nothing can keep me from following him as long as he is here in the U.S.  I am leaving at midnight tomorrow night for Denver and will get there at 4A.M. Friday.  I don't like it about the time at all but it was the best I could do and it's the [cannot read word] at that.  You have to have reservations on all buses going out of L.A. now.  I couldn't get a reservation on the train for 3 weeks.  We will only have 24 hrs together on week-ends but 24 hrs is heaven to nothing at all.  As I started to say Sis, if I let you know in time, when Grover gets through school, when I'm going to be home will you and your young daughter try and make it down home at the same time.  Please do for hard telling when I will be able to make the trip again.  And I do so want to see the whole family.  I will try to let you know in plenty of time.  Write and let me know.

Also let me know how Mom is.  She said in her last few letters she hasn't been feeling well and when she says that she must be sick cause she never will admit she's sick until she can hardly go anymore."

Letter - Page 4

"I think Grover's mother is feeling better although she is working far too hard canning, etc.  I wish she wouldn't.

I was glad to hear all the relative gossip.  It has been sometime since I have heard anything about them.  Must wrote to Aunt Fannie too.  I think I will wait until I get to Denver however.  By the way, write to me General Delivery Denver until I send you an address.

I'm sure proud of my hubby being corporal.  He still is cause he had Cpl. Grover Hall on the envelope (letter I got this A.M.) Course I knew he was smart all the time - brag, brag."

Say you people gad around too much.  How can you take it - I can't.  If I'm not in bed by 9 every night I'm absolutely no good the next day.  I guess I'm getting old.

Well Sis will sign off for now.  Write soon and to Denver, Colorado next time,  Have a good tome down home.

Love Grover and Ellen

P.S. What a sense of humor my young niece has to think The Wolf Man was funny?  She must take after her father - she's no relative of mine (I was scared to death)."    

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time comment!