Sunday, June 21, 2009

Lexa's June

Well, it has been a few weeks since my last post. My days have pretty much been filled with work and gardening. Since gardening is a lot more fun, I will get you caught up on the action.
Since my last post, everything has now been planted in the vegetable bed by the house. The squash all tranplanted without a hitch from their peat pots and have been growing well, even with the cooler weather. The sunflowers are all up, and the beans are mostly doing their thing. They liked the warmer weather we had in early June much more than the cooler last few weeks. The tomatoes have been growing like crazy and are already at the top of their towers. It is now time for me to add the second piece on to the towers.

Now the action has all switched to the big garden down by the road. It finally dried out after the rains, and I was able to start planting. First I transplanted all the Zinnias and Cosmos that I had started from seed. Then I put in 12 more tomatoe plants that were desperate to get in the ground. They are still sulking a bit from being left in their pots for 3 weeks. And then I planted 2 rows of an heirloom dried bean from British Columbia called "Irish Creek Annie". I figure if they can grow and dry beans that far north, I should be able to do it here. Then it was on to planting dahlias. I have about 165 started in pots that are ready to go in the ground. And I have about 40 tubers that still need planted. Needless to say, I will be planting dahlias for the next few weeks!

And here is a picture of the big garden, as it slowly gets filled in. Happy first day of Summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time comment!