Monday, June 1, 2009

Lexa's May






Well, I decided to follow Beth's lead and talk about what I did in May. When I wasn't working, or at a track meet, I was gardening. The weather turned sunny and warm and suddenly it was time to do everything.








I started by planting seeds of "Sonata" Cosmos and 2 varieties of Zinnias. Then near the end of the month I started 3 varieties of winter squash "Buttercup" "Butternut" and "Delicata". With the unseasonably warm weather we have been experiencing everything has come up and is growing quickly.


Over the Memorial Day Weekend, I planted my vegetable bed in the back of the house.The back is a row of sunflowers. In front of that is a row of 8 heirloom tomatoes. In front of that are the 4 hills, where my 8 squash seedling will be transplanted soon. To the far back left is the bean tower. I have planted "Good Mother Stallard" pole beans. I am going to try to harvest them as a dry bean for use in soups and stews this winter. Below is a picture of the new Vegetable bed.I have also been super busy getting my big garden ready. We have rototilled it 4 times and it is ready to go! I have started about 150 of my 200 dahlias in 1 gallon pots. Now I just need the time to make a map, lay out the stakes and get planting!





3 comments:

  1. I envy your success with the dahlias. I wasn't going to do any this year, but caved and put in 3. They are doing fairly well at this point.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That plot is friggen huge. You must be in awesome shape priming that dirt! I have a small garden girls! Ill show you soon.... Love the pictures Lex!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jen - you are too funny. I only work the vegeatble plot by hand. That big plot is reserved for Dad and this tractor w/rototiller. I sit in a chair and watch! Please show us what your growing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time comment!