Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Halloween 1943 - A Letter From Elsie Upton - Part One

Elsie Upton began a letter at the end of October 1943.  She was thrilled to hear her daughter and family would be returning to the Eugene, OR area.

Letter - Page 1

"Springfield, Oregon
10-31-43

Dearest Margaret, Jim and Barbie:

We were glad to hear from you and we will be very glad to have you stay with us.  When will you be here or do you know.  I can't tell you how happy we are to plan on having you near so we can see you often and to have Barbie Ann to love.  You couldn't guess where I am writting.  Dad and I came up to Fall Creek and had our lunch and he dug a few potatoes and now I am in his cabin and he las gone hunting and won't be back until about dark.  It is beautiful up here to-day.  The sun is bright and it is just as clear as can be.  I saw Mildred1 in Eugene last night and visited with her a little while."

Letter - Page 2

"She said they finished paying for their place yesterday and she was quite happy about it.  Dad and I just played around yesterday.  We were going to a show but we didn't like the show that were on so we had our dinner and came home and it was a good thing we did for all the kids were out for treats.  They were a nice bunch of little kids, not big boys like we have had.  I wouldn't be surprised if they would be back tonight.  Phil came to the door with a mask on but I knew who he was.  He said 'I'm Phil Sutton and my mother is on the side walk waiting for me.'  He is a dear little boy.  I was sorry to hear Jim's Mother and Dad and I believe Mr. Hall came one day last week while I was away.  I am always missing some one."

Letter - Page 3

"I am wondering if Grover will get his furlough this time and they can take their trip.  Thanks for the pretty card you send and the kind message on it.  Ellen and Grover sent us one too.  Mrs. Mitchell brought me a nice dish of ovenware.  Dad and I didn't go out Friday night2 for he was to(sic) tired.  He has had to do Gordon's work for he is on  another vacation.  Mrs. Gerlach said she would make Barbie's jacket soon.  We want to go shopping this week.  I want a hat and I would like a dress.  Maybe we will get around.  You wouldn't think we would have a lot to do but we sure keep busy.  I think we will have more time since the canning is done for this year.

I will be glad to have Barbie while you do your shopping around.  It sure..."  

LETTER TO BE CONTINUED...

1 Mildred Swift Hammond probably.
2 Otto and Elsie's 30th Wedding Anniversary was on 10/29/43.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time comment!