Monday, October 24, 2011

November 1943 - A Letter From Janet McAdam Waning - Part 2

Janet McAdam Waning's Letter continues...

Letter - Page 5

Note on side: "Box1 will be parcel poast I like to make big words this morning"

"She inquired about you folks - Said her grand daughter was a year old or there about & she'd only seen her once - So folks are not travelling much - She said Buddy Kenney had been called - Said his boss had 10 days o send in his deferment & didn't do it - They were back here in their own house - & I understand she will stay there - maybe part time - Nice Lois had a baby girl this time.  We also met Mrs. Shunnaman - she said Jenkins was our mail man now - Took the job for this Route - Said she missed Mrs Lewis (Jack)

Well Jack C.2 finally got sworn in - I'll be Ella was all in a dither when the comission(sic) papers came to Tillamook & Jack waiting in Portland for them - You had it right Jim I'll bet the 'wedding' cigars get smoked up now - but that isn't so soft a job either not nearly as much as the Post Office 9 to 5 and 6 days a wk - with your feet up on the desk isn't so good unless the deputies are good - & let J.R. go over & see what..."

Letter - Page 6

Note on side: "A letter from Allphins"

"....Ezra is doing - & greet old acquaintances in Tillamook.
Monday - If Barbra had been here today she could have helped rake leaves & be out with Gran'ma when she hung the clothes out.  It has been a lovely day clothes got nice & dry - I got 63 eggs from the pullets today but only 9 from the old ones - I often wish Barbra could go into the pullet room with me.  They are all singing & making such a noise you can't hear yourself talk & they are so pretty - so white & smooth & their combs so red - They are a fine looking bunch & I hope they do well - Egg man says eggs have dropped about 3c & are due for a further drop - Pullets sell for 40 now & large 50 last wk - this wk 49 - I don't know how many more reductions but several - Billy hasn't any pigs yet - just puts it off - I don't know why - This PM I got 4# butter when the cream man came & this wk I got a 2 year old red hen - & dressed her - I'll have Billy go out to the locker1 & get some meat & fix a box for him to send out - I would have had it away sooner - but was..." 

Letter - Page 7

Note on side: "Billy just got his certificate for his rubber shoes -" 

"...waiting to hear from you - I didn't know if you were coming down or not - I didn't know but you had sold - So it may not get there for Thanksgiving but it will be there for Sunday following - I had a hen two weeks or so ago - cooked the potatoes with the broth - made dumplings & gravy & it sure was good.  I think she was fatter than this one.  I don't know what he'll get from the locker - but beef I think.
I didn't tell you Newman tho't that box spring mattress was cold - so I put it in your bedroom & took that one & the feathers in & made it up - still he wasn't right - He'd rather sleep upstairs & he's just sleep in the bed that was up there - So I got the upstairs swept & washed & put his feathers up there on that mattress - The circulator sits there in the kitchen - never a fire in it since he had that cold..."

Letter - Page 8

"...& Billy put the pail over the stove pipe - So that is that - I tell you he didn't like that stove because he couldn't spit in it - I think & he couldn't see what we were doing either off there - & that was bad - He can sit by the fire place & look out here in the kitchen & keep tab on what I'm doing - & spit in & on the fireplace.  Well that's the last bed shift unless he wants to go in the cellar - He is fine cuts wood every good day I guess he must have 8 or ten cords in split 4 ft stuff - He splits it all that is any size -

Jim, Barbara, and Margaret
Summer 1943 - Portland, OR

Now Barbra when you come to see Gran'ma we'll have a dance - and you & I will sleep together & put Panda under the bed - Well play hide & seek & pop corn - Gran'ma knows you are a big girl now & dress & undress yourself - so I know you can help me make bread & wash dishes feed the cats & calves.  Now I'll say good night & lots of big hugs for my little girl - Love to you all
from Mom"

1 The parcel post box was for the younger Waning family up in Portland.  It contained beef and chicken from the older Waning's Eugene locker and was a Thanksgiving gift.
2 Jack C - Jack Caufield, Ella McAdam Caufield's husband.  He was made a U.S. Marshall - a political commission.    

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time comment!