Friday, October 28, 2011

Last Day of November 1943 - A Letter From Ellen Upton Hall - Part One

Ellen Upton Hall followed up her letter of November 27th, with one dated November 30th.  

Letter - Page 1

"Ml. Rt. #38
Augusta, Ga.
c/o D.J. Bowles

30 November 1943

Dearest Sis and family,

I'm almost frozen but will try and answer your letter I got today.  I'm waiting for Grover to come home and is this house cold.

You aren't the only one that has the willies seeing Christmas so close.  It won't seem like Christmas not being home.  I've got to make a happy Christmas for Grover this year though.  His folks don't believe in making much over Christmas and he's never had a really gay time.  So this year I'm going to try and make our Christmas as much like we've always had at home for I don't believe anyone ever has more fun than we always have had.  I think I'm going to have chicken for dinner as you say it is just as good as turkey and besides just the two of us couldn't..."   

Letter - Page 2

"...put away a whole turkey.  I have most of the presents already.  Just got a few more odds and ends to get.  Have gotten all the paper, ribbon, etc.  We will have to send the presents home by the 10th to insure getting them there in plenty of time.

1 December 1943

Grover came home last night just about the time I got this far and it was a good thing for I would surely have frozen to death if he hadn't.  We have a very wee fireplace in our bedroom.  We have to use coal and can't get wood to start it with.  I absolutely can not get the coal to burn so I just sit and freeze until Grover gets homes.

4 December 1943

Got just this far the other morning and Mr. Hellrung came over to dictate a letter to me so I didn't get it finished.  

Grover took me out to dinner and a show last night.  We saw "Above Suspicion"1 with Fred MacMurray and Joan Crawford.  It was a war picture and a bit horrible but was..."   

LETTER TO BE CONTINUED...

1 "Above Suspicion" - Frances and Richard Myles (Joan Crawford and Fred MacMurray) are newlyweds honeymooning in Europe on the eve of World War II. Unexpectedly, they find themselves commissioned by the British secret service to secure the plans for a new secret weapon masterminded by the Nazis (involving magnetic mines). The trail leads them to Innsbruck where they arouse the suspicions of Gestapo chief Von Aschenhausen (Basil Rathbone). Having secured the plans, the couple find great difficulty leaving the country. Frances is captured and held in a remote castle. She is rescued by her husband and a group of British agents, and, using underground routes, the couple finally cross the border to safety. (Wikipedia).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time comment!