Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Halloween 1943 - A Letter From Elsie Upton - Part Two

Elsie Upton's letter continues... 

Letter - Page 4

"...It sure will be grand to have Barbie to play with again and to have her stuff around.  It is sure quiet up here1 without any one else to talk too(sic).  I think Mrs. Carr will be back before long.  John went hunting again and she was going to stay with Ada until he gets back.  She is going to get some kind of work.  Did Barbie get to see the new baby.  I am ashamed to tell you but I haven't written to Fannie yet.  I started her a letter but didn't get it finished.  No dear, we haven't got the rat yet.  I am going to the drug store and see if I can't get something that will stop him.  My walnuts are all dried ready to use.  I think it was a shame you didn't get to dry your own.  Barbie has some filberts at our house that Mrs. Gerlach have me for her.  I want to write to..."

Letter - Page 5

"...Ellen and Grover before it gets to(sic) dark so I will close now and will hope to see you soon.  I will be watching for a letter, and I should have one from Ellen too.  She wants me to send her winter clothes and I don't think I should send them if they were going to be away.  I may add a little more in the morning.  Bye dearies.

Dad and Mom

Dad came back early.  He didn't even see a deer.  All the big kids in Springfield were out last night.  They were here by the time we got home.  I must hurry for I want to wash and go over(sic) town.  It is nice here this morning and I hope it is there.  Bye now."  


1 Remember Elsie is writing this letter up at Otto's Fall Creek cabin.  She is by herself and probably has no electricity either

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time comment!