Thursday, October 6, 2011

Late August 1943 - A Letter From Elsie Upton - Part Two

Elsie Upton's letter continues...

Letter - Page 4

"...I guess they are pretty busy.  I wonder how Mr. Hall's1 baked beans are coming.  The tomatoes look pretty good.  I hope they ripen.  We plan to have a beef just as soon as it is cool enough to butcher.  Yesterday would have been a pretty good day it wasn't cold but plenty wet.  It sure did rain hard Saturday night but nice to-day.  My clothes are dry and I must get them in.  I wish Barbie was here to help me.  I need some good company.  I feel better now but I sure had a time last week.  My blood pressure was up and the Dr. couldn't think of any reason for it and he ask me if I had had a fight with some one to bring it up so high.  I had to laugh and I guess that was good for me. 
Fred Gantenbein - about 1940

Did Fannie2 and Fred come over for dinner when..."


Letter - Page 5

"...you expected them.  I hope they did.  Aunt Fannie wrote me Mrs. Dickson had passed away.  It does seem strange Mrs. Dickson and Grandad should go in the same week but they both had a long life.  Dad feels pretty bad but doesn't say much very much about it.  

Fannie Greenwell Gantenbein - about 1940

I hope to get my peaches this week.  I am getting rather tired of canning and will be glad when it is finished.

Tuesday morning and I must stop writing to you and write to my other girl3.  I have 12 qt. of beans for you if you want them.  There are other things I want to tell you but they can wait until next time.  Write soon and often.  Love from all of us to you.  Give Barbie a big hug and kiss for us.

Dad and Mom"   

1 Newman Hall - Willard Waning's partner
2 Fannie Greenwell Gantenbein and her husband Fred Gantenbein - Margaret's aunt & uncle.
3 other girl - probably Ellen Upton Hall who was linving in Augusta, GA. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time comment!