Wednesday, October 26, 2011

November 1943 - A Note From Janet McAdam Waning

Janet followed up her letter of the 21st, with a short note on the 23rd of November.

Note - Page 1

"Nov 23rd -

Good morning Barbra - It is foggy here this (sic) - and a little cold - but if you'd been here you could have bundled up in your warm coat & gone to the store with Granpa(sic) - He has gone out to get a piece of meat to send to Portland - & I will put it in a box with the old hen & butter - I hope the old hen doesn't pick into the butter.  I have some of the prettiest chrysante--(?) I've ever had - would like to put some in but guess the odor wouldn't be a very nice flavor for meat & butter - so you can just pretend they are in there - but I'll bet I can find a pretty salmon rosebud - I've had some beautiful ones - ..."

Note - Page 2

"...I have two African Violets potted - started them in water - Billy got two flower pots like any pot but the top is about size of a water glass so I have them on window over the sink - & my violet is blooming again just fine - I keep it over the sink - Chase1 said the best place for it's warm & moist from steam - Billy will take my bundles of papers & magazines today and leave them at Alaska Junk - for he has to go by there on the way to Farmers' Union or elevator - He has to get some grain they were to grind - wheat screenings - Here he is back - so I'll rest the pen a while - I should write to Mary2 - I expect she looks at an empty mail box often - Heaps of love, 
Mom"  

1 Chase - Chase Flowers
2 Mary - Janet's oldest sister - Mary Burnet (McAdam) Emert - in 1943 a widow living in L.A.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time comment!