Friday, October 7, 2011

October 1943 - A Letter From Janet McAdam Waning - Part One

In October, a doting Grandmother wrote a long, newsy letter to her grand-daughter...and her grand-daughter's parents!

Letter - Page 1

Written on the side of the letter page 1:
"Haven't heard from Ella recently.  Did you notice the Dale Rexford increase -  a daughter"

"Enclosed for Barbra
Dexter, Ore -
Oct 11, 1943

Dear little Barbra Ann -

I must write and answer your two nice letters you wrote to me - I was so glad to get your letters - for I know some day you will write Grand-dad & Grandma big letters about your work at school - I am sorry you had a could & it made you sick in the night - Grandma should have been sleeping with you so I could put the light on quick & help you - I hope you are all better now - & no more colds - Grandma & Grandpa Upton were here a little while Sunday evg. on their way home & she said your mommie had been quite sick - that was too bad & I hope she is better too - 'Grandad' is sitting in his old rocking chair, reading & if you were here you could have the shawl all wrapped round you & sit on his lap & rock - till Grandma got ready for bed. - Then we'd hurry & jump into bed & tell some stories - Grandma Upton told me about the nice coat & the pretty pretty red dress she sent up to you I'll bet you look pretty nice in your red dress & blue coat - Grandma Upton is a..."

Letter - Page 2

"...pretty good Grandma I think.  I picked up some apples Saturday & some strawberries, 3 boxes on Sunday & I tho't(sic), now if Barbra was here how she would help Grandma - I carried 9 pails full up to boxes in Jim's shop - They had fallen off or I couldn't have gotten them from that high tree - They are quite large & I'll work some of them up before they spoil - I used all the tomatoes (ripe ones) today I made some catsup - not much - only 6 bottles but that will be plenty.  I have 4 or 5 bottles in the cellar now from 2 yrs ago - I have some cucumbers I'll make some of those sweet chunk pickles - so Kenny can have some when he is here - They have only been here once since we threshed - Dick has been home with a bad finger - He was splitting wood - at home - and cut his first finger on the left had - (his good hand) nearly off - but the Dr. sewed it on & I guess in time it will be alright.  He is working at their place preparatory to building - so Rhoda has been home.  Mr. Parvin is done up again & in the hospital this time - a broken rt. leg - He was out in the pasture on one of the work horses bareback going to run his saddle mare in when she turned & kicked his leg above the shoe top..."

Letter - Page 3

"...he rode in to the barn & got off & called to Loris who happened to be there sacking some seed grain - So Loris got his pickup & backed it up & dropped the end gate & took him over to the house - & while Loris went for the pickup - Mr. P. lit a cigar & was smoking when Loris got there - Sther said, it was quite a bad break & he'd be in the hospital quite a long time - They were just getting cattle in & selling them - sold 24 head & had more to sell & more to get in.  Mr. P. wanted some left to feed there at home this winter & Loris asked him how he was going to get up in the hay barn to put down hay on his crutches.  Mrs. Parvin had told him before the accident if he didn't sell those cattle she would & Loris said, "Dad looked at her & says Do you mean that?"  She said, "Yes, I mean it"  This will do him up worse than he thinks - We haven't gone to see him yet - Guess it happened last Wed., but Billy is plowing & hates to take a day off - He has the south field sowed - & the north field is double disked but has so much straw on it he thinks he'll have to rake it & burn the straw before he can drill.  He has plowed the field north of the spring where the apple tree was - He isn't going to farm the hill this year, he thinks, & will dig out that spring & run a fence from above the gate by..."

LETTER TO BE CONTINUED...           

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time comment!