Thursday, October 13, 2011

Mid-October 1943 - A Letter From Ellen Upton Hall

A Letter arrived to the Waning family from Ellen.

Letter - Page 1

"October 19, 1943

Dear Sis and family,

Received your most welcome letter yesterday.  No we haven't gone as yet.  They froze furloughs Saturday so we couldn't go last night as planned.  Grover said he thought he would find out today for sure about if and when we can go.  There is a rumor around that the 15th R.C.D. is going to be sent to Macon, Ga.  It may or may not be true."

Jim, Barbara, and Margaret - Waning Home
Portland, OR - Summer 1943

"I'm not envying you being in Portland for the Winter.  Here I am in Ga. freezing in the early mornings.  Grover and I have gotten used to..."

Letter - Page2

"...the warm weather down here and when it gets a little chilly we nearly freeze to death.

You asked about Grover's cold.  Yes it is nearly gone thank goodness.  But before he got over it I got it and how.  Mine is nearly gone too except for a cough which id very disgusting.

You said you had baked your family some apple pie.  I baked my hubby one Sunday.  It turned out just right.  Just to see Grover 's grin when he saw it repayed (sic) me a million times for all my work."

Letter - Page 3

"It is a lot of to make him things.  He's just like a little boy, when I make him something he likes he is just tickled to death.

October 21, 1943

Didn't get this finished yesterday (I mean Tues.) as you see.

I think we are going to get to go yet.  Grover talked to the Lt. yesterday and he said he thought he could get it in order to leave tomorrow night or Saturday sometime. I sure hope we get to go.

My hubby was so sweet to me last night.  I was so..."

Letter - Page 4

"...(sic) when I got home from work that I could hardly manipulate.  I got dinner all right but I was so tired I couldn't eat.  Grover made me go to bed and he washed and wiped the dishes all by himself.

I got a package from Mom yesterday with the prettiest dress in it you ever saw.  It is black with red trimming that forms a little pocket on the left, and red buttons.  It fits me as if it had been made for me in particular."

Letter - Page 5

"I didn't have to alter the belt - which is very unusual.

I also got a very nice letter from Helen.1  She wants us to come to Erie first and then go to Grandma's.2  I don't know what to do.  She said they didn't have enough gas to go out to the farm and naturally I want to see all of them in Erie.  But on the other hand Grandma wants us to come straight to the farm.  Maybe it will all work out.

Well, I must get to..."

Letter - Page 6 

"...work now so will sign off.

By the way Barbie Honey thank you for writing Auntie and Grover such a lovely letter.  We will both try and answer it next time we write your Mommy.

All our love,

Grover and Ellen"

1 Helen - Helen Upton - Ellen and Margaret's cousin
2 Grandma - Nellie (Ellen) Carter Upton - Ellen and Margaret's paternal Grandmother

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time comment!