Monday, October 10, 2011

October 1943 - A Letter From Janet McAdam Waning - Part Two

Janet McAdam Waning's letter continues...

Letter - Page 4 

"...run a fence from above the gate by the spring to the Grayum fence north & seed grass seed & pasture in it - He'll be powerful short of hay I think - but he can try it I don't think he'll be farming many years anyway.  Dr. said the heart caused the stomach trouble & those dizzy spells  He thinks all vegetables except potatoes1 hurt him - so it is just potatoes & bread some apple sauce.  I made two pumpkin pies yesterday & he eats them & the ginger cookies & milk - So maybe he can get along without vegetables - No teeth extracted yet - Both he & New'm have had bad colds but are on the mend.  Billy had Maynard, the man he bo't(sic) the tractor from out it fix it some.  It started so hard & finally quit - Billy would crank & crank until he was all in & feel bad the rest of the day - He fixed it so it starts alright now - I don't know what hew parts he put in - but possibly spark plug & some thing on that little box like thing on the rt. side.  Billy's in bed or I'd ask him - Cost him $11.00 but is was worth it - We cleaned the hen houses the days he was waiting for Maynard & he bro't(sic) home rest of his grain - from F's Union.  He'll get about $1000 for what he sold - So the old place will be paid the 1st of Nov - I hope.2

I cleaned the brooder house & another little house - so when I get the upstairs cleaned I'll think I'm about thru - I can peel apples any rainy day - We must sell the old hens & get the pullets in - a few are laying..." 

Letter - Page 5

"... This morning a dog came - It looked like a German police - It had a Portland license plate 1941 - nice collar with brass buttons all round & nice & fat - He was real friendly - & would have liked to have stayed - Billy was out to the store & took him - He like to get in the car & Billy let him out - at Dexter - Tho't(sic) he might belong some where round & they'd see him - He was smart and very good to mind - but we didn't want that kind of dog.  I told Billy he may be back in the morning.  A wk ago or so Lew Matthews shepherd dog & {can't read} went to the Kintsley's place - & killed 80 pullets they had just paid $150 for, the folks were away.  Walter Kieney saw them chase one into the road & went over there - Mary Kieney has gone east somewhere to Bible College - Vivian Mauney is clerking in Woolworths - Billy took 3 pigs in & neither packing plants would do any custom killing - so Newm says what did you do, he says, I sold them - so he got no meat & Dad Upton didn't get any either.  This is Thurs 1:30PM - and I'm just in from picking up the eggs & putting them in the case - hurries me to get 1 case now.  I have just written a card to Swift to come & get the2 yr. old ones - Then we'll get the pullets shut up tho not may are laying yet - but guess if they got egg mash they'd start.  They are well developed & should lay soon..."

Letter - Page 6 

"...Florence Parvins came while we were there last Fri evg. - & it looks like there's to be another Montgomery in 2-3 mos. - Dorothy the one in Eastern Ore. is teaching this year - so that will help them some - 2 mi. from home & she drives - She & June are speeded up the same some thing to help her & the district too - oh Mrs Allphin wrote & said Mrs. Earl J. had wrote to her & told her Ruth Davis's (Jimmie will know who she is) husband as died - cancer of kidneys I think, Ruth has 4 children last just a baby & her mother Mrs. Wilbur Davis was in the hospital & Wilbur milking 10 cows & taking care of several hundred chickens - He is quite crippled up - Remember Earls talking how poorly they were - but real happy.  So who is bad off?  Not me - with my foot on a chair I have a bad ankle & foot too I guess & soon as Billy gets thru I must see about arch supports - He is drilling the old apple tree field today to wheat - Mrs Jackson said too that Earl was standing the store job just fine - Agnes3 said she suggested me getting Jean4 a warm sweater - (I said I'd try & find something to send her, Jean) & if I cared to she's do the purchasing there - So I sent her $5.00 & told her if there was a balance to let me know & I'd send it to her - I'd never be able to find a garment to fit & then send it back & forth or let Julia or Agnes wear it & send another - Maybe not.  I'm doing that puzzle contest that was in Register Guard - Rebus, I have done 10 series of 6 - I think there's another series - but not sure - It was fun - but I haven't decided what to do with my prize money - any suggestions?  No sale in Minn yet.5  Now you tell Barbra I want her to write Granma(sic) again - & send her a big love.  Love to all of you & keep well - Bill too -
Ma"


1 This is the Barbara Ann Diet!

2 Paying of the mortgage to The Dexter Ranch - a huge event!
3 Jean - Janet's 2nd 1/2 sister - Born Jean Burnet, but known as Jean McAdam Dennis (1866-1944) 
4 Agnes - Janet's sister Agnes McAdam Ingvalson (1879-1972)
5  I think this refers to Janet's oldest brother Tom McAdam (1869-1948).  They moved from Blooming Prairie to Fertile, Minn.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time comment!