Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Late August 1943 - A Letter From Elsie Upton - Part One

In late August Elsie sent a letter saying James Monroe Upton had passed away.

Letter - Page 1

"Springfield, Oregon
8-30-43

Dear Margaret, Jim, and Sugar Pie:

I was sure glad to hear from you and thanks a lot for the pictures.  We got a telegram Saturday P.M. from Pa. stating that grandad1 had passed away.  We didn't know he was any worse.  Dad telegraphed the folks he couldn't come for the funeral.  We telegraphed flowers I hope they got them.  I hope grandmother2 doesn't get down.  Dad is afraid Mother2 won't last long.  I hope he can go east while little grandmother2 is still is still living. 

James Monroe Upton and Nellie (Ellen) Carter Upton - 1934

Sure we will be glad to have company, when do you think you will come.  We were up to the garden Sun.  Tell Barbie that Pat and Mrs. Ragin..."

Letter - Page 2

"...were there.  They went up early and had their breakfast at the fire place.  They caught seven nice fish and had fun.  I picked beans and cucumbers.  I canned 14 qt. of beans and 6 pt. of bread and butter pickles and washed this morning and I am tired.  I want to work on Dad's books when I finish your letter.  I have quite a schedule for to-day don't you think.  I got a pattern for Barbie's coat and I hope you will like it, also a dress pattern for a new dress.  Mrs. Gerlach3 and I have to keep busy.  Mrs. Mitchell4 will iron for me tomorrow.  We brought her a box of beans to can and she came over after them this morning. 

I want to write to Ellen and Grover.  Did they tell you Grover's folks had sold their home in Yuba City.  They should try Oregon.  Barbie doesn't..."

Letter - Page3

"...like to write letters any better than her grandmother does.  

We are going to have corn and fish for supper tonight.  I wish you could be here.  We sure are going to have pie pumpkins plenty for everybody and they look nice.  We planted the seed from the pumpkin Barbie gave us.  Everything reminds us of Barbie.  Gladys called me one evening and we had quite a visit.  She is afraid her husband will have to go for his furlough  is up in October.  Elsie was in to see me this morning and brought me some things from her garden.  She was canning corn this morning and had to come in town for Guy.  Delmar is still picking beans.  He has done well for a little guy.  I haven't seen the Waning Family since last Sunday..."


LETTER TO BE CONTINUED...
  
1 grandad - James Monroe Upton (10 Oct 1862 - 28 Aug 1943)  - Otto's Father
2 grandmother, mother, and little grandmother all refer to Nellie (Ellen) Carter Upton
(26 Aug 1863 - 5 Dec 1953)  Margaret's grandmother, Otto's mother, and James' wife.
3 Mrs. Gerlach did sewing for Elsie Upton  
4 Mrs. Mitchell was Elsie's housekeeper and boon companion.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time comment!