Tuesday, October 11, 2011

October 1943 - A Letter from Charlotte Dorsey

Envelope

In October 1943, a letter /  thank you note arrived from Ike and Charlotte Dorsey.

Letter - Page 1

"October 13, 1943

Dear Margaret:

Since I'm not sure just how dependable our husbands are as a means of communication, I'm going to write a note to tell you how much we've enjoyed all the Waning baby things.

We put the bassinet to use right away, and find it so light and easy to handle.  It's height makes Tommie easy to handle too.  We put it in the car the other night,..."

Letter - Page 2

"...and he rested as well as he would have at home.  And does he love to ride!  I used one of my pillows in the basket for a mattress, but it doesn't fit too well.  The corners aren't rounded, which leaves the ends a little short.  So lately I've been letting him sleep in the buggy.  It's a honey.  The springs are really grand.  I'll bet it's really comfortable riding.

My fondest dream for months was to dress myself and Tommie up, and go walking.  But as for me, there are only two or three of my dresses that I can get into.  And as for him, except for a few days, it's seemed pretty cold to take him out.  I planned to go today, but they're both sleeping so late that I'm afraid we won't make it.

I nurse the baby, but also have to supplement, and altogether it takes me at least 45 minutes to feed him.  I don't seem to do much else.  I'm feeling fine now, but spend quite a lot of time lying down." 

Letter - Page 3

"...We've started using the bathinette for our tub baths now.  I soap him first, then rinse in the tub.  I'm not sure whether he likes it or not.  The hose doesn't fit the faucet - it is partly broken through, too, so I fill it with a pan, but the drain hose works.

Thanks so much for all the things.  And for the lovely glads that came to the hospital.  The white ones had the biggest flowers I've ever seen.  The colors were beautiful together, and they came just at the right time, when I..."  

Letter - Page 4

"...was getting restless and tired for bed.

I've started Tommie with Dr. Henricke, at that white clinic on 37th & Sandy.  We went yesterday, and he's doing beautifully.  He weighs 9 lbs. 9 ozs. now, at one month, and the doctor threatens to cut out the formula.  That will make the baby unhappy, I know.  He's the best baby there ever was, I think, and it surely is fun to take care of him.  He seems so much easier to handle -..."   

Letter - Page 5

"...perhaps because I'm not afraid of him.  We had Jimmie examined at the clinic too.  He's fine - they gave him another whooping cough shot.

When will we see you?  It's a little hard for us to travel.  Why don't you come and see us soon?

Both boys are awake now, and it's eating time for Tommie.  Again.

Love, Charlotte" 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time comment!